Monday, April 6, 2015

My Dark TV

I turned off my television just over a month ago. With the exception of two stations – PBS and Turner Classic Movies – it's still off. Here's why.

TV had always been a part of my life. When I was a kid I had the entire weekly TV grid memorized from season to season. I knew what was on when, on which day, for how long, and who was in it. I read TV Guide as if it were a treasure map, even if I had never heard the word “debut” spoken before and thought I was reading “de-butt” before each listed series premiere.

Back then, TV was as important to me as the movies. In fact, some of my most powerful experiences with the tube were movies. It was on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies where I first saw Rear Window and Vertigo and developed a lifelong love of all things Hitchcock. Even today, I can look back on my adult years and say that some of the programming I've seen on TV is as good as anything I paid for in the theater. (Hill Street Blues was better than most cop movies, and I still think Lonesome Dove is one of the great Westerns on small or large screen.) Spielberg has grown to be one of the great Hollywood directors, but I think his first film, Duel, is not just the best made-for-TV movie, but it's as accomplished and as breathtaking as almost anything he's done since. (I say “almost” because I doubt anyone who watched Duel in 1971 could have even remotely foreseen Schindler's List.) Incidentally, as some of you I'm sure know, Duel was released into theaters after its initial TV de-butt. The only other movie I'm aware of to make the transition from TV to a brief theatrical run is Brian's Song. They were both that popular. (If you know of any others, let me know.)

Television has provided me with some annual traditions, too. I've probably watched every Super Bowl game since the Packers beat the Chiefs in 1967. Except for nights when I was teaching, I haven't missed an Academy Awards show since The Graduate lost to In the Heat of the Night in '68 – except once. I decided that I'd become a slave to my TV obsessions and would deliberately miss the Oscars one year just to prove I could. Well, I did miss it, and I was completely miserable the next day. TV 1, Vince 0.

It was also my primary source for news. Walter Cronkite was like a trusted uncle in our home when I was growing up, and later, even with the advent of the Internet, CNN kept me glued to updates on the Gulf War, Columbine, and so much else. Bernard Shaw and Lynne Russell became my new Cronkites.

Then Newtown happened.

Columbine had been rough, shocking, tragic, all those things. But when Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary on December 14, 2012, opened fire on those little children, then let the remaining few sweat out their final terrified moments as he stopped to reload – this was something new to me. This was news I couldn't make go away with my remote. This was news penetrating some shield I'd always had between the outside world and my own personal realm. I couldn't even escape it in dreams.

So I protected myself the only way I knew how. I stopped watching news altogether. For four months, I avoided the news channels and even skipped the local news. I didn't read any news coverage on the web or buy a newspaper. (I was especially grateful not to have been privy to the conspiracy rumors floating around during that time that claimed the massacre had never happened.) I didn't miss it, either, which surprised me.

Then, on April 15, 2013, two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and I just had to know what was going on. I was by that time far enough removed from Newtown to handle coverage of yet another tragedy. It seems odd to consider that it was one crisis that flung me away from the news and another one that brought me back. I don't try to understand it. I was just glad to be a news junkie again. As in years past, I couldn't get enough of it. Politics, the entertainment scene, violent storms on the Weather Channel – if it was big news, I was right there with my remote, glued to every image, every facet of the story.

But then last year, ISIS came along.

Where had these guys come from? How did we go from hearing about Ebola one day to being inundated with global threats and shocking videos the next? It just seemed to get worse and worse as weeks went by. A friend of mine recently said she'd had to stop watching coverage of 911 because networks kept replaying those planes hitting the towers over and over again. I'd said that it hadn't bothered me as much because I thought it was important we not lose sight of or become complacent about what had happened to us. (In fact, I think maybe I needed all that repetitive footage to help jolt me from my state of shock. Even a decade or so later, when I was being flown over the New York City skyline I once knew so well, the sight of a Manhattan without the towers was too surreal for me. I still couldn't grasp it in my heart.)

But I just couldn't take one more of those videos or even news of one. What purpose did they serve other than to give the terrorists the worldwide publicity they wanted? News about them was one thing, but showing clips from their murderous propaganda campaign? Beheading after beheading with no repercussions, no end in sight. Then those 21 Egyptian Christian men lined up on a Libyan beach for a mass beheading. My God, I thought, could it get any worse? Well, yes. That Jordanian pilot who was doused with gasoline and put in a cage, where he was burned alive for the world to see. That did it. I might care about what happened to those captives, but I didn't have to grow more despondent over it day after day. I felt guilty about it, too, as if I'd be selfish to turn my back on all that suffering. How callous could I be? Well, I knew that turning off my TV wasn't going to free them, but I did know that if I did so, I'd be freeing myself.

So I did.

I turned it off without realizing until 24 hours later that I hadn't turned it back on for anything else, either. Feeling bold, I let another few days go by. No Shark Tank. No SNL. Was I nuts? I was afraid I'd begin to experience the void I'd created and go into withdrawal, but instead I actually added something to my life – serenity.

Oh, I already had serenity in the spiritual sense. But it was constantly threatened by all sorts of outside stimuli. TV wasn't the only thing, but it was the most invasive. I'd turn it on in the evening without thinking, and instantly people I didn't know would start bombarding me with imperatives: Buy this! Watch this! Call today! Now no one was yelling. I could buy and watch anything I chose. I didn't have to call anyone. The pressure was off – even though I never did any of those things, it had still felt like a mob yelling outside my window.

I did check every evening to see if Turner Classic Movies had anything worth watching, because I could never give up James Cagney or Myrna Loy. Plus, TCM's movies weren't interrupted by ads, so many at a time that I could imagine forgetting what I was watching to begin with. I could watch a movie without a message at the bottom of the screen telling me what else I had to watch, so that the network was never satisfied. The movies on TCM gave me the entire closing credits instead of scrunching them up into half the screen and cutting off the sound to tell you about something else to watch. Again, nothing was good enough. But, of course, Turner had one more real advantage for me – no news at all.

I also kept PBS around, another commercial-free station. Some programs, such as Charlie Rose, did occasionally touch on news topics, but I quickly realized I didn't even want that. So if I come across Nova or American Masters or Austin City Limits, I'll stop and see if I want to stick around. I usually don't.  Same with TCM.  I like having the option, but I'm rarely using it.

That's because something else was now happening: sitting in front of the TV made me restless, almost frustrated. I started playing more CDs, or the radio, or nothing at all. I found I had more time to write. If old friends called long distance, I relaxed and talked as long as they wanted to instead of getting fidgety after a few minutes. I even slowed down my reading. I used to go through maybe two books per week, though lately I'd been trying not to feel I had to keep up such a hurried pace. But now, without television, I'm still reading the same novel I started a month ago. I've never done that. I feel as though I know the characters intimately, and while I always want to know what happens next, I know they'll still be there when I get around to them. I was discovering just how much time I have in my life and how to savor it.

I don't know how long this will last. Last time it lasted four months. This time, it feels more like a new lifestyle than simply a news moratorium. I still enjoy hearing friends discuss last night's episode of The Blacklist or Survivor. I enjoy their enthusiasms, and I don't feel deprived at all. But I know that there has to be some sort of compromise beyond TCM and PBS. That compromise begins today, in fact.

It's opening day of Major League Baseball. Go Mariners!


9 comments:

  1. I loved this blog, Vince. The paragraph where you describe the serenity you felt when you turned off the television and discovered that no one was bombarding you messages (i.e. advertisements) really resonated with me. As a woman, when I watch television, I see female characters who are almost always beautiful, thin, brave, sexy and intelligent who always get the bad guy, or the good guy. The only normal looking people are comediennes who are supposed to look less than ideal so they can make fun of themselves and others can make fun of them, or the quirky best friend, odd neighbor, crazy cat lady, or dopey co-worker. The advertisements are the worst. If I have to sit through the ads (normally I don’t watch shows when they are being aired for this exact reason), I come away feeling like I just don’t measure up—I’m no longer thin, young and beautiful. I can’t compete with the images that are held up as the standard and so feel like I am worth less than really am. The television industry and Hollywood have created an impossible standard of womanhood. Where ARE the normal looking, amazing women in television, movies and advertisements? Where are the ones who look like me and aren’t funny, witty, dopey, clueless, bitchy, or just flat out strange or even criminal? (Ok, I might be a little strange.) Advertisers are screaming at us to buy this or that, telling us we will look young and beautiful if we buy their special potions and lotions to improve our skin and hair and their shapers to round out our figures in just the right way. I could go on and on. I know that I have fallen victim to that frantic, flawed imaging, the messages that I allow to convince me I just don’t measure up and never will. Besides, I’m kind of sick of hamburger commercials offering my husband a free peep show each evening of a sexy, apparently mostly naked, model eating a 1000 calorie fast food burger. REALLY? I don’t know if I’m ready to turn off the TV yet, but the ads are outta here! Seriously, though, I really do long for the serenity you have found by being more discriminating about what you see and invite into your mind and heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great note, Linda! You're so right -- I too am aware of the pressure women are under thanks to Madison Avenue, but it can't be anything like what you must feel as a woman yourself. I've been seeing a backlash on the web with articles and photos featuring women who don't fit the perfect image and are slowly being accepted. But I don't see much of that on network TV yet. You really nailed all those female stereotypes! Some of the most popular overweight women have been comedians -- Melissa McCarthy, Roseanne, Totie Fields -- but if a heavy woman shows up in a sitcom or dramatic script, her weight is often a factor in the plot. But there was one show where that worked -- last year Louis C.K.'s show featured a heavy woman really letting him have it for an innocuous comment he makes about her weight. It went on to win an award for the script. (On the other hand, the first time McCarthy hosted SNL, I was troubled by some of those sketches where her weight made the situation funny -- a slim or average woman wouldn't have gotten those laughs.) Did you know that Vivian Vance had to maintain at least ten extra pounds more than Lucy so she wouldn't be as "attractive" as the star? Anyway, I really enjoyed reading what you had to say. And you're right -- those Carl's Jr. ads are ridiculous, and your observation about those women eating those lethal burgers and still looking svelte cracked me up!

      Delete
  2. As I sit hear watching opening day for the Braves I do understand your enjoyment of being TV free. Often when Kim and I camp we do not turn on the TV for as long as we're camping. But I must admit we still have our smart phones and computers so as to keep up with the outside world. As you know Vince TV was a big part of our youth. I laugh now thinking of having 4 channels (including PBS) and never saying there was nothing to watch. Of course you and I could play an entire football game a little strip of grass between two apartments and not complain. Times are very different.
    Considering your comments on the news I realized how much off my life has been controlled by the news. During my career in Corrections I have been part of the news at times and was always conscious of the effects of the news at the prison. So much so that not following the news would be the hardest part of giving up TV. The time may come where I can free myself of the TV and news completely but I think somewhere deep inside I enjoy yelling at the TV when some commentator is spouting off some BS on a subject that they have no real clue as to the truth or not. So hang in there with your new found freedom and pray for the rest of us TV slaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really treasure those little football games. I remember the tree we had to avoid right in the middle of the grass. The importance of news when you were in Corrections makes perfect sense. Heck, don't give up TV if you enjoy it. There are worst vices! I wouldn't have even thought of it if the news hadn't pushed me to a breaking point. Kids today must find the idea of only four channels almost barbaric. Imagine turning on a set late at night and seeing only test patterns -- how did we survive?!

      Delete
    2. TV: The Cyclops that eats books. Good move, Vince.

      Delete
    3. Great way of putting it, Anon!

      Delete
  3. Every time I talk with you, listen to you, or read your posts, I get a little more insight into the fascinating person that you are. You are so smart and probably in part from all that TV you have watched. Ha! Me? Not smart and only watch 2-3 shows a week, and never in the day when I am home. See the parallel? Everyone always gives me a bad time about not watching (or reading) the news (I do occasionally) but you have just given me an "atta girl" confirmation of the reasons why it's not priority, so thank you for that. Atta boy, Vince!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I have not seen or heard of ONE ISIS video you spoke of. Man, I really AM in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you're sweet, thank you. Honestly, I've come to realize that my life will and does go on without having to know everything that's going on in the world. As for those ISIS videos, just be glad you're in the dark. Do yourself a favor and stay there.

      Delete