Monday, April 27, 2015

Holidays I Didn't Get Around To Last Time

I set out to write my previous post about various holidays, but I ended up having too much to say about Christmas. Let's see if I can stay on track this time.

Birthdays are my second favorite time of year (after Christmas). I know that the older we get, the more miserable we're supposed to be about getting older, but my aging brain hasn't gotten the message yet. Maybe it's because I've always had this problem of living for the moment and never planning ahead. Consequently, on my birthday I'm focused strictly on the day itself and not my impending decrepitude.

When I was working and my birthday fell on a weekday, I always made sure I could take the day off; I didn't need pesky projects and meetings to interfere with my happiness. Of course, the workplace can be fun, especially when your coworkers fill the office with black Mylar balloons. Then, around midafternoon, you might walk into the lunchroom on a break and find everyone gathered around a cake bought just for you. Last time I was surprised like that, just one little candle burned in the center --  I had reached the age when it would be too labor-intensive to put in all the rest. I could sense that not all of my coworkers were happy about this cake, since I've rarely worked anyplace where donuts didn't magically appear in the lunchroom every other day. A cake was just one more reason to keep your hopeless treadmill in the basement.

My mother threw me a birthday party when I turned seven. My mother liked kids if they were hers, but I invited about a dozen and a half schoolmates to this event. So anyway --

Whoops, never mind. I forgot to focus on other holidays, and I don't want to stretch this topic into mid-August.

Labor Day

The best and worst thing about Labor Day: Jerry Lewis. The Muscular Dystrophy Telethon was probably his greatest achievement (well, besides The Nutty Professor), but he refused to change with the times. In the new millennium he was still featuring some of the same guests he'd had on in the 1960s (40 years of Norm Crosby was way more than enough), and his taste in music and beautiful women (they had to be beautiful, it seemed, to be his co-hosts) was growing out of fashion. The older and sicker he got, the more naps he took during the show. I wasn't surprised when he finally disappeared altogether, but I think it was horrid the way MDA unceremoniously dumped him. Then the next year the telethon was only six hours long. They showed a brief tribute to Lewis, which I thought was just hypocritical. By last year, the show was dramatically shorter (I think it aired between two commercials for Coke and Nissan). Not only were the hosts pointedly young, but I suspect the performers were chosen because their fans have no idea who Jerry Lewis is. The telethon got to be a tradition with me through its good times and its bad (sort of like SNL). One year, I even took calls for the full length of the show at MDA's remote hookup in Miami (back before volunteers were split into two shifts to preserve sanity). Nowadays, there's only one way to really recapture the essence of the Jerry Lewis MDA experience: find a copy of Hardly Working. It was the comeback film Lewis made after The Jerk opened; he wanted to remind people who the original jerk was. (I'm serious -- that was the tagline of the movie.) I call it an MDA experience because the film was shamelessly, hilariously filled with product placements from the telethon's most loyal sponsors. Budweiser, Dunkin' Donuts, 7 Up, the U.S. Postal Service -- they're all there, and trust me, you won't miss them if you blink. You won't even miss them if you doze off, which you're likely to do.

Halloween

I'm conflicted about this one. As a kid, I enjoyed going out. I liked everything about it -- the candy, waiting to put on my store-bought costume and mask that came in a box with a cellophane cover, the candy, being allowed to roam the streets after dark, and of course the candy. During the '80s and part of the '90s, I stopped liking the idea of it because it was "sinful." These days, if I had kids, I'd let them go trick or treating, but I'd have to be with them because this isn't the world I grew up in, and I'd prefer they didn't dress up as flesh-eating zombies or tweenie trollops. Kids can't find my door now, but back when I lived in a busier neighborhood, I'd always go somewhere else on Halloween night and come home after 10 p.m. A ringing doorbell can make me jumpy when it happens 20 times in an hour. (I still bought the candy, though. Why waste a perfectly good holiday?)

April Fool's Day

It would have to be a brilliant, and I mean brilliant, prank for me to enjoy it. Also, it would need to happen to someone else.

Fourth of July

I like looking at fireworks, but not listening to them. They frighten animals and can seriously mess with PTSD. Plus, amateurs seldom know what they're doing and have a way of losing digits in the process. I do like what the holiday stands for, though, and I like that so many people, as with Memorial Day, really do remember its meaning.

Indigenous Peoples' Day

Last year, the Seattle City Council decided to rename Columbus Day. I don't even have a punch line for this.

16 comments:

  1. When I started with Pacific Northwest Bell back in 1981 you got your birthday off paid (or the closest work day if it fell on a weekend). Shows how much power unions had back in those days.

    I too was a MDA telethon fan for several years. Mostly I just enjoyed watching Jerry's demeanor change as he grew more and more tired, going from bright and cheerful to a dark personality that wouldn't mind hiring somebody to come to your house, hold you upside down and shake the money out of your pockets.

    I'm still glad the SACC renamed Columbus Day. But like I said before, I would have preferred something like International Explorers Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you weren't a big Norm Crosby fan, either.

      Delete
  2. Labor Day for me was at the beach or sailing. No MDA. I still can't stand Jerry Lewis........he's just irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your position, Nan; he's a polarizing figure. I would think more of him if he didn't think so much of himself.

      Delete
  3. Remember, every day of the year, you are one year older. But I still like to say, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now...."

    Most enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that! ("My Back Pages" is one of my favorite Dylan songs.)

      Delete
  4. Norm Crosby wasn't too bad. Though when I was a kid I had this misconception he was like Bing's less famous, less talented brother. For whatever reason, I seemed to come up with a lot of theories like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being a kid is a good excuse. Do you remember the Road picture where Hope and Crosby are in the jungle and a guy with a rifle walks into the scene? The guy fires the rifle and walks away. Hope says, "What was that about?" Crosby says, "That was my brother Bob. I promised him a shot in the picture."

      Delete
    2. LOL, I hadn't heard about that one before.

      Delete
    3. Wish I could remember which movie it was. If I can find the clip on YouTube, I'll pass it along.

      Delete
  5. You know Vince, sometimes I wonder how it is that you are just older two year older than me and yet you remember twice as much as me! I would never have thought of the Jerry Lewis Telethon in a million years if I was writing this post, and yet, it was a huge part of our early years. I used to think Jerry Lewis was so funny back then, but as he got older, it just seemed yucky that an older distinguished man would ever talk like that. I can't even watch his movies because of that. Funny people have to be sad inside that they have to act like that for people to like them, right? I'm a big Valentine's and Halloween person, although I don't decorate for any holidays but Christmas. When I grew up in Pennsylvania, Halloween was a big deal and would last for days so all the kids and families we knew could get around to all the kids and families we knew. My dad was really big on it and would fill baggies full of candy. He was a softie at Valentine's also and would buy my mom a huge box of chocolates (that I don't recall ever getting any of) or make her some cheesy plywood heart cut out or something that he would paint. It's weird because I always thought of him as a tough sort of dad (not necessarily in a bad way though) but he sure created memories for me with holidays. He made Christmas more incredible in so many ways but that would take an entire post myself to write about. He died at 54 and to this day every year I buy my mom a box of chocolates (a small one that she shares with me). I always made homemade costumes for my kids - never once buying one. Good memories. Your blog has a way of pulling your readers right into the living room with you to have a chat. It gets crowded sometimes doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From all accounts, I'd say you're right, Mary -- most comics have a well of sadness somewhere in there, and I think they crave that acceptance and appreciation when people laugh along with them. I've heard enough of them say so. I've also heard it said about actors, and I know it's true for the majority of writers I've known. Gosh, fifty-four was awfully young -- I'll bet you miss your father. It's nice that your mom shares her candy with you now (especially nice considering that you buy it). As for your last comment, yes, it is getting a bit crowded in here. I might pick Bruce's brain on how to build a courtyard for all these comments.

      Delete
  6. I meant just a little less than two years older than me ... how does one say that properly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine that way, though I'd prefer "almost two years older."

      Delete
  7. We no longer recognize April Fool's Day in my family or circle of friends. It is now called April 1st, my daughter Kristen's birthday...

    ReplyDelete